Welcome to My World!

As Lewis Carroll so convieniently wrote:

The time has come, the Walrus said, to talk of many
things...


Except I'm mostly going to try to contain this to my thoughts and experiences while in England. It's a lot easier than emailing everyone ;)

Monday, May 3, 2010

April Sunshine brings May Showers?

I could have sworn I knew a different rhyme ;) April in London was very sunny, but May (the few days we've had of it) have been rainy.

Not much has really been going on in my part of the world. Since Ireland, I've just been working. I spent a lovely weekend in Bristol with Siggy and Jen, where it felt more like being back in Canada as we had a bbq and I sat around in their allotment while Siggy did chores. hahaha.

Lately I've been in the frame of mind of "Oh crumb I need to save money" so I haven't been doing a whole lot of anything. Mostly this is because I know that come August, I'm going to go broke. A month with no pay, while having to pay this rather large rent and expenses? Yep. Gonna be a broke me.

So money has kept my life relatively calm and boring. But the other reason is that I'm simply not in the mood for a lot of urban things. I've been missing rural areas and just being outside. Now, yes, I could go outside whenever I want to. But going outside and walking down a street isn't the same as being outside in fresh air. I've been missing just sitting on a deck and reading in the sun, and BBQs, and hiking. Not easy things to do in London. We have a yard in this house yes, but there's nothing to sit on outside and the people we rent from don't want to invest in any cheap outdoor furniture... and we're not keen on buying it for the house as none of us will be living here for years and years. So there's nothing outside, which renders the yard useless. I don't know anyone in London really with a BBQ. And while I could go walking in the parks or hiking in areas near here... I've just been wanting RIGHT outside of London.

It doesn't mean that I love London less.... but I've been adjusting myself to the idea of not living here and it makes me want to go outside of London and explore more of England. So far, I've really only been to Brighton and Bristol. There's so many places I want to go, but it costs so much to go places on a regular basis.

Then there's also, for me, been the fact that lately I've been rather anti-social. Well, it's more like selectively-social. The idea of groups has just NOT been my cup of tea lately.... I've been a lot more interested in 1-on-1 interactions with friends, which is hard to do sometimes. Or groups of 3. Any larger than that and I sorta cringe. Which is odd, cause it doesn't mean there's anything I'm NOT wanting to see, I'm just not feeling incredibly social.

And I'm really missing my friends back in Canada, and my nieces. I wish it was cheaper to visit between the two countries, as I'd love to try to drag someone or another over here to visit me in August. It'd be really nice to see some of the faces I've been missing! I've been tempted to go back to Canada for August, but that's not a good idea financially. It'd cost over £500 though, and that's just not good financially. I don't think I'd spent £500 in August on food and recreation. I spent less than £50/week on groceries, so we'll just round that up to £200 for the month. That's £300 left for spending money. We'll drop £100 of that on books as that just seems like the sort of thing I'll do. Down to £200. I plan to get myself passes for zones 1-4 which I don't normally do, as I expect I'll spend a lot of time in the parks. That's £40 a week, and let's say that I go and spend 1 week with Siggy and Jen... so that'd £120. Ok, so that's leaving me £80 for a month of miscellaneous expenses.

Ok, so maybe I will spend the £500 in the summer. Ummm. Dammit. That's sorta a lot more to think about now.

:S

3 comments:

  1. *hug*

    I have a garden flat, so you're more than welcome to come over one night, we can cook something or do pizza, have the patio door open so the breeze wafts in, and watch a film. If it's warmer, I can see if I can borrow some of my landlady's chairs and we sit up her end of the garden (I've not asked yet as I've only sat up there once, when she was on holiday), but I think if she wasn't using the garden that night, she wouldn't mind - in the evening, the sun only reaches to her end).

    Or on a weekend, come up to Greenwich Park which is huge, and we could do a picnic. Cheap, sunshine, fresh air and grass, and a good book to read.

    I understand if you want solo time, or if you want to be social, but with other people. But the offer's there if you want it, and it would be nice to see you. I understand needing cheap time, so that's why I'm thinking of things requiring little or no money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah we should, we still need to have a photo day too! That'd be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like forever since you last wrote anything!!! b

    ReplyDelete