Welcome to My World!

As Lewis Carroll so convieniently wrote:

The time has come, the Walrus said, to talk of many
things...


Except I'm mostly going to try to contain this to my thoughts and experiences while in England. It's a lot easier than emailing everyone ;)

Sunday, January 31, 2010

The good news: January is over!

Yesterday I said I was going to try to squeeze in my two-entries-per-month I was aiming for.

So today I shall.

Yesterday I focused on the negative aspects of January, so today I will focus on the good.

The students whom I have taught since Christmas have all been quite wonderful - a few exceptions to the rule, but overall they have all been a pleasure. While back with supplying I've returned to schools I've taught at before (actually, my two favourites really) and it made me really happy to be remembered and welcomed back. It means a lot to me when someone remembers me, as I tend to assume that I'll be forgotten after a few weeks. I don't think my brain will ever change in regards to that, but it does allow me to be really pleased and happy to hear things like "welcome back" and "don't go". I even had a student groan when he found out what class I was teaching - not because I was teaching his class and he didn't want me there, but because I was teaching the OTHER year 6 class and he wasn't going to have me as his teacher.

Those sorts of things just make you feel really good inside.

My friends, on both sides of the pond, have kept my sanity this past month.

My flatmates have all been amazing (and hilarious) and are rather lovely people. I went out dancing with Lucy (one of my flatmates, another Canadian, for those of you not in the know) for her birthday with some of her friends. It was rather a fun evening, even if I WAS stressing about work. We went somewhere called the 100 Club and there was a live jazz/swing band playing. I, being the knob that I am, invited some guys to ask Lucy to dance since it was her birthday. It kept me amused, at any rate. Sometimes I baffle myself with just how opposite I am to myself.

My nanolondon crew have been amazingly supportive via twitter, messages, and in person. I don't know what I'd do without them sometimes, as it's so important to me to have friends outside of teaching. Although I am blaming them for an addiction to Twitter that we have all mostly been infected with. But, I suppose as far as addictions go, Twitter is rather harmless. They're just such lovely people, the entire lot of them. I just wish I saw them more often, and hope that my more stress-free life will allow me time to do so! Just need to get my act together and actually invite more of them out places, instead of only going when they invite me out. Cause how is that any fair!

Siggy&Jen and Gareth will get their own little mentions as they're Brits but not part of my London crew at all. But Siggy managed to keep me all relaxed when I was stressing out. This is quite the feat seeing as I spent SEVEN HOURS in the Imperial War Museum with him. It was quite tedious! Informative, and interesting information, but not my cup of tea. I did it solely for him and treated it as research for it my parents ever come over to England. I now know that I could easily abandon my father in there for a few days as he would not get through it in one day, and that if I absolutely must spend the day in there again that I shall most definitely find one of those portable stools to cart around and bring a book. In other news - mom and dad, you would both love the museum. Remind me to ditch you in it when you piss me off and hope you can't find your way home, ok? haha. As to Gareth, he is a friend of Tanis (my sister in law for those of you who have no memories!) and the poor sap has been stuck listening to me moan and complain on and off since I arrived in England. He even manages to snap me out of it by sarcastically insulting me somehow or another. (Do keep in mind, this is ME we are talking about, and I don't believe I've ever been not-amused by sarcasm, so well-done Gareth!)

My Canadaland friends. I haven't really talked to anyone very often, but as I'm doing a few shoutouts I'd like to point out that Ashley and Kristin quite stubburnly insist on having shitty sleeping habits, and thus are always awake when I wake up at 6am and are around to chat with. Even when I'm grumpy or inattentive to the conversations, I do always smile at having messages sat there for me while I've gone to brush my teeth. Sometimes I'm just not with it enough in the morning this past month to remember to respond, and sometimes I'm sure I've been snappish but these ladies put up with my splendidly in the morning when they should be sensible and go to bed. <3 Much love to them!

Peri (who will not read this as he does not have the internet at home as he is a loser and also won't know I called him such but this is purely his own fault) I'm going to give his own little paragraph too. (he also won't know that he's getting a paragraph all to himself! This is what happens when you do not use the internet!) Poor, poor Peri. For those of you who can't recall who Peri is, this is because I've only known him since last year at York. The poor soul was stuck having placement with me, plus a rather horrid Education class that we both despised. This meant that he heard me bitch and moan all year, and somehow had to composure to not kill me where I stood. He even went so far as to drive my sorry ass back home after placement, ditching class to go for beer, taking me to get groceries, coming to say hello after I endured the hell that was Convocation, and then taking me out to play pool before I left for England (we were both equally horrid at it!). Peri has done all of that sort of stuff for me DESPITE all the verbal abuse I've thrown his way (although he's never yet been caught unawares when I ask if I can kick him). He's continued that into this year! What a knob, if he was smarter he would have blocked all contact with me. However, as he has a blackberry, he has been getting routinely spammed on my way home from work or when I am otherwise away from the house and need either a laugh a smile or somewhere to vent. And, to further prove to all of you that I am amazingly lucky in the friends I have acquired over the years... he dutifully messages me back and even told me a story upon demand once.

What amazing friends I have!

So while I really have had very little to post about lately, I think a post primarily dedicated to pointing out just how AMAZING my friends is a good way to write a post. I'm just a lucky one, that's for sure.

So my dear friends, I love you all, please keep putting up with my sorry ass!

PS. If I didn't mention you by name or "grouping", I have not forgotten you. It just means that perhaps in the past month we haven't had much chance to speak! So *coughcough*dropmealine*coughcough*

No comments:

Post a Comment