Welcome to My World!

As Lewis Carroll so convieniently wrote:

The time has come, the Walrus said, to talk of many
things...


Except I'm mostly going to try to contain this to my thoughts and experiences while in England. It's a lot easier than emailing everyone ;)

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Looking Up

I take a lot of pictures. We all know that.

Sometimes I take a lot of snapshots when I'm out with friends; sometimes I take snapshots because I'm taking a quick picture for someone I think would like to see what I'm seeing, but am not interested enough in the subject to put any thought into the photo. Then again, sometimes I take snapshots because I'm feeling shy or silly being in public by myself or feel rushed because the people I'm with are bored.

Other days I'm in a mood to take macro photos (not so much recently as my Rebel doesn't do so well close enough as I do not have a macro lens) and either photograph insects or things might go a bit more abstract.

Then again, somedays I'm more about nature. I either take landscapes or focus on animals.

I'm sort of all over the place in my style and methods and focus. I'm sure that it comes across everywhere that I post photos; the only real common thread is that I take a million photos and take a lot of shots of the exact same thing.

There are patterns though, if you're me and know about them or if you pay a great deal of attention to what I post. There are certain angles or lighting or subjects that I'm more likely to employ. The same can be said of my editing style when I am in a mood to process my photos - there are trends.

I think I might slowly start organizing my photos into various photo entries where I focus on one of my own trends.

The first trend: Looking Up. It's not particularly unique, and sometimes you lose a great deal of detail on the subject, but regardless, I love it. I like seeing pictures where the angle between the camera and the subject is so extreme that you feel like a tiny little bug looking up at something.

I never take these photos because it's the only way to photograph a building: it's usually a lot harder than taking more straight-on pictures and I feel like an idiot when I sit down on the sidewalk and fiddle around with my camera holding it as close to the ground as I can. These photos I can rarely (if ever) see what is in the shot until after I've taken it, as I might hold my camera a few centimetres above the ground.

With these photos, I rarely have the subject properly centered in my photo - again, this is intentional. As I said earlier, I like the angles. I tend to keep taking shots until I've got a fairly centered one, but it's very rarely the photo I'll post up publicly or be my favourite shot.

This is the lighthouse in Lion's Head Ontario. I've taken other shots of this lighthouse, but this is my favourite one. I liked how the door looks like an arrow pointing up towards the light.This is a Cathedral in Lille, France. I forget what the name of it was. This is actually the only photo that I took in Lille that I'm happy with - even though I took a million shots of the grotto that was there, I wasn't happy with the lighting and my friends were frequently in the photos when I didn't want them to be. It was such an ornate building!

The monkeys are climbing up the arch in the Natural History Museum, London. The entire building was fascinating, but I just couldn't stop thinking about how it would look if these monkeys actually started to climb the wall. It was so busy in the building that I had a few people looking at me funny that I tried to ignore.
You'll notice as this post goes on, that I primarily use this angle for bridges and churches. The above is the Suspension Bridge in Bristol. This bridge is massive. I felt like an insect, and even though the bridge gate is a little bit basic, I just get a feeling of it being a monster that's going to eat me. Tower Bridge, London. My friend Jay was with me while I was taking this, and what a sport he is as I don't think he even gave me a funny look when I was sat on the ground playing with my camera.St. Paul's Cathedral, London. This building is so massive that I almost gave up attempting to take this picture. As it is, I'm not as close to the base of the building as I normally am.Westminster Abbey, London. This one was hard to take a picture of. Like St. Paul's, I almost quit but at Westminster it was mostly because I felt intimidated sitting where I was sat!

Ah, the Astronomical Clock in Prague, Czech Republic. I have other shots with this angle, where you can see the door that's below the dials. I like this one better though, as the lighting was nice and you can see the little clock at the top. The Church of Our Lady Before Tyn, Prague, Czech Republic. You can barely see the tiny spires at the top of this magnificent building! You can also see how other buildings are LITERALLY built up against it! This is one of those rare times where it's the only angle you can take of somewhere - I could (and did) take a pic of just the door, and I have plenty of photos of the top half of the building, but this is the only way I could take a picture with both in the photo!
Charles Bridge, Prague, Czech Republic. I have a brighter photo of this, where you can see that the sky is blue (borrowed a friend's filter) but I liked this one better as I could see under it. St. Vitus Cathedral, in Prague Castle, Czech Republic. Ornate. This building is the definition of ornate, in my books. Inside and out, it was full of details. This photo makes it look less intimidating than it is, and actually looks a lot softer than it does in reality.
This is the Powder Gate Tower, Prague Czech Republic. This photo was difficult to get, as there is road running under it. This photo was thus taken while standing and walking across the road. I walked back and forth across the road a few times stopping near the middle to take a picture or so before another car would come and I'd have to run back across. Bath Abbey, England. I didn't spend as much time trying to get a more focused shot here, as I ran over to grab a few quick pictures while our tour guide was inside the Roman Baths getting our entrance sorted. I just couldn't resist the colours and the lighting.


Well, there you go. One entry somewhat describing my thoughts about the photo and why/how it was taken the way that it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment